– as a girl –
1. Society will make marriage
a big the only deal for you
2. The constant you have in every conversation with your mum – and woe betide you, your dad – would be about your future husband
3. The only giggly conversation you might have with your best-friend’s mum, would be about the boys in your life who might be prospective husbands and how you can get them closer
4. A friend would call you every other month about their wedding details and how you can get your aso-ebi ASAP!
5. Your other friends might call you to gossip about how they can’t believe the last person who called about aso-ebi is getting married
6. You will start accumulating dresses you might never wear again.
7. Your Instagram timeline will be filled with pictures of shiny diamond rings and captions like “I/She said yes!. You might even unexpectedly become start getting irritable, rolling your eyes every time you scroll through another one.
8. Every new guy you meet might be run through a Is-he-marriage-worthy screening in your mind
9. Your boyfriend will get wary when you seem too nice
10.Your 20-item checklist for Mr. Right might reduce to 2- Must be God fearing and maybe older than me?
As you get older, really, you realize that every one is on a different journey, no one’s life determines how yours should be, and mostly that marriage is supposed to be for two people who love each other, not just another predetermined stage in everyone’s life.
With enough time, we all find what we’re looking for, even if it was there all along.